As a stone fabricator, we get asked all the time what the benefit of choosing granite over other stone countertops is and is it still in style?
Are you going to regret putting granite countertops in your kitchen or bath?
The short answer is no. In 2022 and moving into 2023, there is still a high demand for granite counters according to the latest kitchen trends publications.
The real question is whether you pick a dazzling color scheme that will remain timeless.
But before we get into that, let’s get the high-level pros and cons of choosing granite sorted.
What are the pros and cons of granite countertops?
- Granite countertops are durable and easy to clean.
- They are heat resistant and can withstand high temperatures.
- Granite is a natural stone in various colors and patterns.
- Granite countertops are scratch-resistant.
- They can add value to your home.
- Granite countertops are expensive.
- You will need to consult with a professional to determine if they are the right choice for you.
- Granite is a heavy material, so it may require extra support if used for countertops.
- Granite countertops may need to be sealed periodically to maintain their appearance.
Health Benefits Of Granite Countertops
- Granite countertops can help improve the indoor air quality of your home.
- They can also help reduce the amount of dust and other allergens in the air.
- Granite is a natural material that is unlikely to off-gas, making it a healthier choice for your home.
- Granite is also a non-porous material, which means it is resistant to bacteria and mold growth.
How Tough Is Granite?
Granite is one of the most durable countertop materials available. It is heat resistant, scratch-resistant, and stain-resistant. Granite is a natural stone that can last a lifetime with proper care and maintenance.
Benefits Of Granite Vs. Quartz
There are a few critical benefits of granite over quartz.
- Granite is a natural material that is sourced from the earth.
- Granite is more heat resistant than quartz.
- Granite is also more scratch-resistant than quartz.
- Granite comes in a wide variety of colors and naturally formed patterns.
How often does granite need to be sealed?
You should seal your granite countertops every six months to 1 year, depending on the type of sealer you use.
What Are The Drawbacks?
The downside of granite countertops
The main drawback of granite countertops is their cost. Granite is a high-end material that can be expensive to purchase and install. Additionally, granite is a heavy material, so it may require extra support if used for countertops. Finally, granite countertops may need to be sealed periodically to maintain their appearance.
Do I Really Need Granite Countertops?
Granite countertops are a luxurious addition to any home. They are durable, easy to clean, and heat resistant. However, granite countertops are also expensive and may require extra support due to their weight. You should consult with a professional to see if granite countertops are the right choice for you.
Can I Put Hot Pans On Granite?
Yes, you can put hot pans on granite countertops. Granite is a heat-resistant material that can withstand high temperatures. However, it would be best if you used a trivet or hot pad to protect your countertop from excessive heat.
The reason is that heat can affect the sealant resin used. Over time, the heat can cause the resins to deteriorate.
Will Granite Stain?
Granite is a stain-resistant material, but it is not entirely impervious to staining. Granite countertops can be sealed to help prevent staining. However, if a spill is not cleaned up quickly, it may still cause a stain.
What Are The Different Types Of Granite?
There are three main types of granite: igneous, sedimentary, and metamorphic.
- Igneous granite is the most common type of granite. It forms when hot magma or lava cools and crystallizes.
- Sedimentary granite forms when sandstone or shale is heated and compressed over time.
- Metamorphic granite forms when heat and pressure change the structure of the existing rock.
What Is A Granite Countertop Made Of?
Granite countertops are made of natural stone that is cut into slabs. The stone is then polished and sealed to create a smooth, durable surface.
What Are The Different Colors Of Granite?
Granite comes in various colors, such as white, gray, brown, black, green, and pink.
How Long Do Granite Counters Last?
Granite counters can last a lifetime with proper care and maintenance. Granite is a durable material resistant to scratches, stains, and heat. However, granite countertops may need to be resealed periodically to maintain their appearance.
Is Granite Out Of Style 2023?
Granite is a classic material that has been used for centuries. It is still popular today and is not likely to go out of style anytime soon.
Does Granite Increase Home Value?
Granite countertops can increase the value of your home. Granite is a luxurious material that is prized for its beauty and durability. Homes with granite countertops are more likely to sell for higher prices than homes without them.
Can Granite Chip Easily?
Granite is a durable material that is resistant to scratches and chips. However, if it is hit hard enough, granite can chip. We recommend you use a cutting board or trivet to protect your countertop from excessive force.
What Do I Do If My Granite Countertop Chips?
If your granite countertop chips, you can try to repair it yourself with a kit from a hardware store. However, it is best to consult with a professional for repairs.
General Care Considerations for Your Granite
Can You Use Pine-sol On Granite?
Pine-Sol is not recommended for use on granite. The acidic nature of Pine-Sol can damage the sealant on your countertop and make it more susceptible to staining.
What Is The Best Cleaner For Granite?
The best cleaners for granite are mild, pH-neutral soaps. You should avoid using abrasive cleaners, as they can damage the finish of your countertop.
Is Vinegar Safe To Use On Granite?
Vinegar is not recommended for use on granite. The acidic nature of vinegar can damage the sealant on your countertop and make it more susceptible to staining.
Is Quartz Or Granite Better?
Quartz and granite are both durable, heat resistant, and stain-resistant materials. However, quartz is less likely to chip than granite.